June 10, 2021
The Apostle Paul wrote a great deal about death. For him, death was a metaphor. He continually called us to “die” to our old ways and seek a new life in Christ. Our reading for Sunday ends with his call,
So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new. As people of Christ, we should continually strive to put the old ways behind us and adopt the ways of the kingdom.
One of the ways we can "die" to the old ways is through
acts of care and compassion. Our Mission Project for this year's VBS is to
collect food for the Neon Bus (details below). I urge you to give generously
for this wonderful program that sets out to feed hungry children in our
I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.
The mission component of this year's VBS is to help the Lebanon Special School District (LSSD) with their summer nutrition program.
The Neon Bus program was created by LSSD to help fight hunger in Lebanon during the summer. The program is free and open to anyone 18 years old and younger.
From now until VBS, First Presbyterian will be collecting food items for the Neon Bus. The following items have been requested:
- Easy Mac and Cheese
- Peanut Butter Crackers
- Slim Jim Beef Sticks
- Individual Oatmeal Packs
- Individual popcorn snacks
- Fruit Roll-ups or Fruit By The Foot
- Ramen Noodles
- Cheese Crackers
- Tuna Pouches
- Granola Bars
- Breakfast Bars
- Fruit Pouches
Please support the NEON BUS with cash and/or food donations.
CHILDREN AND WORSHIP
Sundays at 10:00 a.m.
Early Childhood/Early Elementary (2 years to 1st grade)
Join us for in-person Summer Book Club beginning Sunday, June 6, immediately following worship in the Session Room. We will be reading Take This Bread by Sara Miles. Books are provided by the church. This group is facilitated by Max Carter. If you plan to participate, please contact Kristy in the church office.
SACRED CIRCLE TIME
Sundays at 10:00 a.m.
Upper Elementary (2nd to 5th grade)
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
Join us for Rocky Railway Vacation Bible School on June 21, 22, and 23 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.! VBS is open for all children age 3 years to 8th grade. We plan to have separate tracks for early elementary students, upper elementary students, and middle school students. A meal is provided each night. Click
here to register. If you have any questions, please contact Kristy in the office.
11th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Vacation Bible School
View Complete Calendar
An archive of sermons and bulletins
(video, audio, and text) can be viewed here
Detailed information on how to use Zoom can be found on the FPC webpage
Zoom Dial-up number: 1-312-626-6799
Sunday - 10:00 a.m.
meeting number: 959 167 376
Can also be viewed on Facebook
Sunday - 11:10 am
Book Club with Michael
meeting number: 999 257 630
The Session held its Stated September Meeting on Sunday May 16 at 12:30 p.m. on Zoom.
• Statement of Operations Summary for April 2021:
Net Income ($5,275.26)
• As of May 11, the church has received 23 pledges totaling $114,080.
• As of April 30, our operating deficit for 2021 was $30,926.
Building and Grounds Committee
• The Session voted to approve upgrading the HVAC system for the church. The work will be done this summer.
Click here for more information.
Congregational Care Committee
• The monthly Wednesday night dinner was a covered dish dinner on the grounds on May 19. Monthly dinners will be scheduled for June, July, and August.
• The next “Sunday Drive” will be in June.
Christian Education Committee
• The Crossroads Class, Book Club, and Children’s Worship will continue to meet during the summer.
• Max Carter and Blair Welser will lead youth group activities this summer.
• A food drive will be conducted in conjunction with VBS; the donations will be given to the Lebanon Special School District summer feeding program.
• Craig Freeman gave a Minute for Mission for Monroe Harding on May 16.
• The Session voted to lift the mandatory mask requirement and making masks optional during worship. Those who have not been vaccinated are encouraged to wear a mask.
May Presbytery Meeting
• Adrienne Johnson and Frank Reeves served as commissioners to the May 20 meeting.
The next Session meeting is scheduled for Sunday, June 13 at 12:30 pm
Scripture - 2 Corinthians 5:6-10, 14-17
6 So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord --
7 for we walk by faith, not by sight.
8 Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.
10 For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each may receive recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.
14 For the love of Christ urges us on, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died.
15 And he died for all, so that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died and was raised for them.
16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way.
17 So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!
Prayer of Confession
God of faith, despite your nurturing guidance, we prefer to go our own way in this world. We blaze our own path and too often turn our backs on you. We confess that we live our lives as if there were no consequences.
We live only for ourselves.
We ignore the needs of others.
We are deaf to cries of need.
Forgive us our old ways. Transform our hearts and help us exist as your new creation. Amen.
FPC has two ongoing collections benefiting the following organizations:
1. Wilson County Schools Family Resource Center. We collect food and personal hygiene items for students whose families are struggling.
Donations can be left in the plastic tub in the back hallway.
2. Wilson County Community Help Center.
Monetary donations are used to purchase food items for the Help Center. Write Help Center on your check.