The Building

First Presbyterian Church is the oldest church building in Lebanon still being used for religious services.  The building was authorized by the elders and trustees in 1909 and a lot obtained on the corner of South Greenwood Street and West Main Street. Ground was broken in April of 1910 and a cornerstone laid.  The contractor was the Lebanon Manufacturing Co., whose bid of $19,000 was the lowest and best.

The Akron Plan was suggested by architects and was used.   This structural plan was very popular in the United States from 1885 to 1925, and many other churches in the USA have the typical corner tower and diagonal seating in the sanctuary, with moving partitions giving maximum space for educational classrooms.  At one time, the First Presbyterian Church building had the largest seating capacity of any sanctuary in Lebanon because of this multi-purpose arrangement.

An unusual feature of the sanctuary is the carpet.  The present carpet was laid in 1956, which is a duplicate in color and pattern of the original carpet bought in 1911. The educational building and chapel were added in 1960, attempting to match as closely as possible the exterior of the original building.